MACNBR   00242
MUSEO ARGENTINO DE CIENCIAS NATURALES "BERNARDINO RIVADAVIA"
Unidad Ejecutora - UE
artículos
Título:
'Atypical records of pinniped specimens housed in the Museo Argentino de Ciencias Naturales "Bernardino Rivadavia?'
Autor/es:
DANERI, G. A.; VARELA E.A; DI MARTINO C.C; HARRINGTON, A.; MONTIEL R.A.
Revista:
THE LATIN AMERICAN JOURNAL OF AQUATIC MAMMALS
Editorial:
SOLAMAC
Referencias:
Año: 2014 vol. 9 p. 150 - 150
ISSN:
1676-7497
Resumen:
Pinnipeds are widely distributed in the southern hemisphere. The most representative species that occur along the Argentinean coast are the southern elephant seal (Mirounga leonina), the southern fur seal (Arctocephalus australis) and the South American sea lion (Otaria flavescens) with their breeding colonies lying at different sites throughout the continental coast and adjacent islands (Reeves et al., 1992; Bastida et al., 2007). However, vagrant individuals from other pinniped species such as the leopard seal (Hydrurga leptonyx), the crabeater seal (Lobodon carcinophaga), the Subantarctic fur seal (A. tropicalis) and the Antarctic fur seal (A. gazella), have also been reported for the area (Rodríguez et al., 1994; Rodríguez et al., 2003; Oliveira et al., 2006; Bastida et al., 2007). The Marine Mammals scientific collection of the Museo Argentino de Ciencias Naturales ?Bernardino Rivadavia? (MACN ? Ma) houses a total of 378 specimens catalogued, 56.9% corresponds to Cetacea and the remainder (43.1%) to Pinnipedia. Within this order three families are represented: Phocidae (6 genera and 5 species); Otariidae (3 genera and 4 species), and Odobenidae (1 genus and 1 species).